Mistcoater Liquid Coating System
The Mistcoater Advantage
The Mistcoater uses spinning disks instead of spray nozzles for applying liquids to dry solids in a continuous flow process. The unit prevents clogging with liquids that have suspended solids such as slurries and solutions with a high percentage of sugar or salt.
We offer three Mistcoater models: The “T” model, which includes a coating chamber with discharge chute; the “TMX” model, which uses a coating chamber with twin screw ribbon and paddle mixing conveyor; and the “SST” model, which includes stainless steel contact surfaces and food grade components for improved sanitation.
Advantages of the Mistcoater:
- There are no spray nozzles that can clog
- Multiple liquids can be applied from a single inlet point
- Liquid pumps require less head pressure due to the lack of liquid inlet restriction
Mistcoater Liquid Coating System Product Details
Units Sizes & Capabilities
- 5 Ton – 250 ft3 (7 m3) per hour
- 20 Ton – 1,000 ft3 (28 m3) per hour
- 40 Ton – 2,000 ft3 (56 m3) per hour
- 70 Ton – 3,500 ft3 (100 m3) per hour
- 120 Ton – 6,000 ft3 (170 m3) per hour
- Flanged inlet and outlet openings
- Dry disk drive with timing belt/sprocket reduction
- Coating chamber with scraper
- Single access door
- Stainless steel liquid disk(s) with v-belt drive and support legs
- CEMA IV or Food Grade Finish
- Heat tracing
- Keep full level sensor
- Close tolerance construction
- Mixing conveyor extensions
The Mistcoater Process
The product to be coated enters into the machine and falls onto a rotating “dry disk”. The material falls off the dry disk in a cascading helical pattern. Simultaneously, the liquid is pumped onto spinning disks located in the center of the cascading product. This liquid is atomized and applied to the falling dry material. Internal scrapers prevent product build up on the walls of the coating chamber.
Mistcoater Case Study
Industry: Pet Food Manufacturing
Problem: To apply both fat and flavors to their pet food, our pet food client had been using a traditional tumble drum coater for many years. The tumble drum coater caused high labor costs and down time on the line, because of the following issues:
- Suspended solids caused clogged spray nozzles and poor uniformity of coatings
- Excessive backpressure resulted in premature failure of the pumps and valves
- Atomized liquid from open ends created a slipping hazard and the need for constant cleaning
- The lack of access and excessive length meant a person had to enter drum for cleaning
What APEC provided: We worked with the customer to utilize the APEC Mistcoater within their available footprint. The Mistcoater Liquid Coating System is totally enclosed and uses spinning disks, instead of spray nozzles, to apply liquid to kibble. It is designed with full length access doors for easy access to all areas of the machine for cleaning.
How we solved their issue: Down time required for cleaning the surrounding area was virtually eliminated, as well as the safety hazard. The product coating uniformity was greatly improved, since the fat and flavorings were atomized properly due to the Miscoater’s spinning disks. The customer has since replaced all of their tumble drum coaters with APEC Mistcoaters and utilized Mistcoaters in their new facility.
or call us at (616) 374-1000
Request Mistcoater Information
Do you have a question about the Mistcoater models, sizes, or capabilities? Fill out the form below
and we will respond to your inquiry promptly to provide more information.